First, select one of the disasters listed below and imagine you find yourself in the middle of in it.
Next, research images and news stories regarding the event you selected. Attempt to wrap your mind around the chaos that must have been involved.
Finally, in approximately 2-pages (at minimum) discuss what your action steps would be if using your personal disaster plan. In your chosen scenario, consider that your family is accounted for and safe. In addition to your evacuation, is there anything else you can do to prepare your home for the disaster upon your departure?
All written submissions should reflect professionalism in grammar, spelling, writing style/format (i.e., one-inch margins, double spaced, typed in 12-point Times New Roman font), include current APA or MLA in-text citations when appropriate, an appropriate APA title page or MLA first page, an APA reference page or MLA works cited page when appropriate, and should be uploaded as .doc or .docx documents. If your academic discipline utilizes another formatting style (e.g. Chicago/Turabian, etc.), it is your responsibility to make the course instructor aware of the style you will be following within the comments section of each assignment submission. Otherwise, the course instructor will grade your formatting according to APA/MLA standards.
1. 2005 New Orleans, LA. Hurricane Katrina
- A blackhawk helicopter crew airlifts and delivers you and your family to the Superdome with 10,000 other people.
2. 1994 Northridge, CA. Earthquake
- Your neighborhood goes into flames due to ruptured gas lines. You have 30 minutes to evacuate.
3. 2011 Joplin, MO. Tornadoes
- You emerge from your storm shelter in the darkness of night to find complete destruction of the town.
4. 2018 Paradise, CA. Wildfires
- You have been given 8 hours to evacuate your community. Tens of thousands of people flee their neighborhoods after the Camp fire unleashes waves of flames that would destroy 11,000 homes.