This week, you learn about Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. In addition, you look at two ways in which everyone is motivated—intrinsic and extrinsic motivation.
Everyone has needs that they must fulfill. These needs are what motivate people to seek out education and training, a career path, or hobbies and interests.
Please complete the following:
- Check out the list of needs on page 32 of your textbook, The Best Team Wins. Then, choose the top three needs that motivate you. Why do you find these motivating? Are they intrinsic or extrinsic motivators?
- The list: Autonomy, Challenge, Creativity, Developing others, Empathy, Excelling, Excitement, Family, Friendship, Fun, Impact, Learning, Money, Ownership, Pressure, Prestige, Problem Solving, Purpose, Recognition, Service, Social Responsibility, Teamwork, Variety.
The organization you work for just announced they are terminating 20 people due to budget cuts. You find out that one of those people is your coworker Kathy, whom you have had lunch with every week for 10 years straight. She comes to you to share how she’s feeling. Think about what you’ve read about active listening in your webtext this week.
- Would you be a good listener in this situation? Why or why not?
- Do you ever find yourself becoming distracted while listening?
- What could you do to practice active listening, in order to respond to Kathy appropriately?