***video presentation, no need to film yourself or voice. Just be a powerpoint type video***
Consider this scenario for this assignment:
A local middle school science teacher is teaching students about the history and value of conservation biology. The class wants to learn about this by exploring different species of life and how they have been impacted by changes to the environment over time.
As a member of the community and a person interested in environmental science, you have volunteered to create a video presentation to share with the middle school science students to help them learn about these topics. Your presentation must be comprehensive and at the appropriate age level for your audience to understand. Keep in mind that middle school students are typically in grades 6, 7, or 8 and are 11–14 years old.
Refer to the video resources located in the “Video Resources” section below for assistance in creating a video.
Select 1 plant or animal species from The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species™ located on the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources’ (IUCN) website to use for this assignment. You will use the search bar at the top of the IUCN home page to enter and search for a species’ name or region. You can also select a species that’s featured on the website’s home page. You will use this information for every aspect of your video. Expand each information section that populates on the IUCN website for your selected species, so you can fully address each element you need to include for this assignment. When you get to the critique portion, you will be asked to explore a few additional sources.
Create a 3- to 4-minute video about how the field of conservation biology has impacted your selected plant or animal species.
Include the following components in your video:
- Identify the following about your chosen species:
- Common name
- Scientific name
- Assessment and population trend information from The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species
- Habitat and geographic range
- Use and trade of the species to the geographic area
- Summarize the threats to the species.
- Explain the conservation actions that have been taken to support the species.
- Explain the importance of presenting these issues to middle school students.
- Critique the conservation actions taken to reduce the impact on species. Include the following:
- Discuss any local regulations or policies that have been created in response to this challenge.
- Discuss how these actions represent the changes in the field of conservation biology over time.
- Support your critique by using at least 2 sources from reputable environmental groups, or government websites.
Cite sources to support your assignment.
Format citations and references according to APA guidelines.